Saturday, October 21, 2006

Star Spangled Banner


So I was taking the kids to the park today and the coolest thing happened. Do you ever just feel really great in a moment? Like everything is just cruising along as it should be. Well I was driving down to Southside Park and was listening to NPR and the kids were talking in the back seat, and on NPR came this news story which I have heard recently but was being recounted again. So this guy Tan Nguyen running for a congressional seat apparently sent out a letter telling 14,000 Hispanic immigrants that if they were illegal immigrants and voted in the next election they could be deported or even arrested. While this report is playing my daughter is belting out the Star Spangled Banner in full voice. I had to just smile at the innocence of my daughter exalting our freedom while we were listening to a man who was trying to squelch it. I love that girl.

4 comments:

Levi said...

The cool thing is that your daughter is most likely in the right key and in time. She can sing so well for a 3 footer.

Mahala said...

You are right about that. And she knows most of the words, like "And the rockets that stare, the bombs earsting with claire"

Woman of Faith said...

kids say the craziest things! It is a good idea to write them all down because trust me you will forget. I wish we could enjoy those moments more simply instead of missing so many of them inn the busyness of life. Thanks ofr sharing such a cute and precious moment!

Mahala said...

No problem. It is not that often that I come up with a blog topic. This is an ok place to write them down I guess.